Thursday, January 24, 2008

Movie 10 of 2008: Cloverfield

This blog should've been done almost a week ago as I saw this last Friday night, but... I haven't had time, so here it is!

If you have not seen this movie yet... GO! It was awesome! (albeit very short... only like an hour if you don't count trailers and credits... the credits were like 15-20 minutes in themselves and with a crappy song playing... though that was the only part of the movie I didn't like!) The movie was intense and had you on the edge of your seat wondering what was to come next, who would survive, what would be left (if anything) of the city, etc... VERY action-packed! There actually weren't a lot of visuals of the monster within the movie, but... I think that made it that much more "scary" (for lack of a better word). I believe I jumped once or twice in the movie, but the movie itself wasn't scary... just suspenseful... and sometimes that gets me worse than so-called scary movies.

A lot of people were concerned about whether or not this movie would cause motion sickness. I don't typically get sick in a car unless I'm trying to read or if I get overly warm, but... I honestly don't think this movie was bad in that sense. Yeah... the camera was shaky a lot of the time (I honestly feel that in some scenes it should've been shakier, but I'm sure they were trying to limit that out some) but it needed to be based on what was going on. As for the guy carrying the camera around everywhere... good god he had some balls! If I'd been in his predicament, I would've lost the camera way in the beginning of that movie!!! But again... it's what needed to be done.

At any rate, this movie (so far) is my favorite of what I've seen this year. I'm sure that there will be others that rate as highly or almost as highly, but this was a REALLY good flick. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys suspenseful movies and/or movies that are filmed a bit differently from the norm.

No comments: